OK, the weatherman says it’s going to get really cold. I don’t know whether we’re going to get the snow we had last year in Chichester – some serious shovelling took place at the GWA Cars & Finance offices in Birdham – but it is likely to get icy. So, Gary and I have come up with some tips on how to drive safely in icy conditions.
- Prepare your car. Clear all the ice from your windows thoroughly before you start off.
- Plan ahead. Allow extra time for your journey (don’t be in a rush) and stick to main roads.
- Keep your distance. Give other drivers more time and space.
- Drive gently. Brake and change speeds and lanes slowly.
- Be careful on hills. Going uphill, look for the clearest path; drive downhill in third or fourth gear.
- Skid advice. If you do skid, turn into the skid. Take your foot off the accelerator and the brakes.
- Put an emergency cold weather kit in the boot – blankets, food, extra clothes, torch, etc.
- Make sure you have a GWA Vehicle Protection pack!
Two cars that we’ve got on the GWA Cars & Finance forecourt that are ready to take on the colder weather (and not just because of the heated seats and heated door mirrors) are a 2007 Range Rover Sport 2.7 TDV6 HSE Auto (£24,495) and a 2006 Audi A3 SE TDI 5-door hatchback (£5,995).
To have a chat about buying or leasing a new or used car or van, contact Gary at GWA Cars& Finance on 01243 510 650 or firstname.lastname@example.org.